Sunday, October 31, 2010

Facebook?

Partway through the 1st semester of seminary and all is awesome. The fraternity, the discipline, the prayer. It's not all easy. I don't always enjoy everything. But it's awesome. I'm so happy and truly swimming in God's graces.

I was gonna write some huge post about something or other, but I'm kinda short on time right now, so this one will have to do. Just a thought...maybe more an opinion...a question...call it what you will!

Facebook: What's the deal with that? We're always allowed to get back on during our open weekends, and while I have gotten on both weekends...I almost wish I hadn't. Sure it has the positive qualities that are becoming cliché. "Oh I get to stay in touch with so many of my old friends!" or "This way I get to know people so much easier." or "It's a great way to network." My opinion: Facebook...not worth it. I don't say this as a declaration, but maybe some of you have an opinion about this. My friend over the summer was talking to me about facebook, and I think he hit the nail on the head. He said, "Facebook is for people who can't let go, and who want to live in the past." Everytime I get on I'm brought back and it's almost like all the work God has done in me this year vanishes for a few moments. Pictures, statuses, etc...just sort of brings back potentially painful memories of times gone by. I think the new "Social Network" Movie kind of captures this too. It's a sad movie all around and I won't ruin it for you, but for those of you who have seen it -- Remember the scene when he friend requested his ex-girlfriend and just kept refreshing the page over and over to see if she would accept it? I think that embodies facebook to an extent. Just sad and defeated. Trying to make things happen that are already long gone. Tell me what you think, but I think a world without facebook would be a better, more present, more sincere world.

Until Thanksgiving -- This is Coady Owens, signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment